Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Another CD review for LBRI coming your way. This time is Daughters, Hell songs. I was going to do someday providence.. But I never finished it and scraped it. So I decided to do daughters.. because their great. I have been screwing around with this one, and have a good idea what I'm going to write about, and if all goes well it should be my best yet. Well lets start shall we?
______________________

Daughters Hell songs

I don't know about you or your neighbor, but when I think of pure unadulterated chaos, with out rules and without purpose, I think of the loudest band to ever come out of Providence. To you all ignorant to this sound, then take a seat and gaze in amazement at the band known only as Daughters.

lately, I have heard a lot of opinions about this band. Specifically about their newest CD, entitled Hell Songs. Have heard a many of opinions about it and the drastic vocal change from their last CD, Canada Songs.

In case you didn't know, the vocals in Canada songs is that of straight Converge like screaming. However with this CD, the band decided to take a new approach, trying to stray away form the metalcore screaming, and into more experimental realms. Some diehard fans are pretty pissed about that. Personally I love the new style, but ill get into that later. To anyone even slightly pissed about the vocal change, I suggest you open your mind to a wider range of music and Check out Dour Cursiva (www.myspace.com/dourcursiva). You'll see what I mean when you take a listen.

Now lets get down to Business.

The CD in my opinion is great. I love this kind of stuff, especially the first track, Daughters spelt wrong. Its a chaotic, distorted, waltz in daughters classic fashion. It something I never heard them try before and sure hope that they try using such a formula again. The second song, fiery, starts to pick up speed, showing signs of the heavier daughters we once new. I like that this song has a marching feel to it and the fact that it seems a bit more organized than some of the other songs.
Something else new and cool on this CD are the Violins and horns they throw in at the end of Recorded inside a Pyramid and Providence by Gaslight. It gave a very nice feel to the songs and just added a little class to the chaos. Which is always a good thing.
Daughters also tries something new with their song Cheer Pricks, which clocks in at exactally 6 minutes long. That's song is damn long considering that Canada songs clock it at a mere 15 minutes. Plus, next to Daughters spelt wrong, it is probably the best song on the CD.

The main disappointment with this CD is that some songs sound very similar to the next and the screeching guitars can get very repetitive very fast and at times can hurt the ears. The fact that they are in the grindcore genra means that many of you reading this might not like them due to the fact that you are enclosed to just one type of music. Here is a tip, check these dudes out and open your mind to new sounds, you never know what you might find.

Oh yea If I had to rate this CD I would personally give it a 8.5 out of ten. Don't agree with me? Say something about it on the forums. Maybe ill just change my mind.


"If I was drunk right now I tell you what. It would make this whole process a hell of a lot easier.."

-Daughters -"Cheer Pricks"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home